Thursday, August 20, 2009

Oh my garbage!


This is a picture of the poster which is tacked onto my kitchen wall. Confused? Well so am I. I thought California was ecologically-conscious, but Toon-shi puts the entire Bay Area to shame. Apparently, each of the different colored sections on the left side of the poster refer to how the different types of garbage should be separated. From what I can tell, there are at least 15 different categories for trash, primarily distinguished as burnable and non-burnable. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure plastic bottles and plastic drink bottles are not in the same category. Also, according to a pamphlet I found in my desk, tractors and sand are not collected as trash in this town. This would be confusing even if it was in English, but hopefully I'll be able to sort out everything. Did I mention that in addition to the requirement of having 15 different trash bags, the different categories of trash are collected on different days? Oh well, saving the planet, one rinsed, dried, cut-up, and twined collection of milk cartons at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Ditto for Taiwan.
    There are paper days, plastic days, crushables and non crushables, food waste for composte and food waste for pigs, rags versus clothes and all sorts of silliness. Different days at different times.

    ReplyDelete