Monday, August 31, 2009

Dogo Onsen






Our last stop for the day was Dogo Onsen, the oldest onsen that stands in Japan. An onsen is a traditional bath house, and the Dogo onsen is probably the most famous onsen in all of Japan. Apparently, the hot springs here were mentioned in poetry written around 3,000 years ago. I didn't get a chance to go inside the actual bath house, as I needed to catch a train home, but I did manage to dip my feet in the hot spring fountain they have for travelers outside. Very comfortable. Right next to this stopping spot is a mechanical clock which was put in during a centennial celebration about 15 years ago. I caught it at just the right time, for most of the day the clock is about half the size, but at every :30 the clock comes to life, expanding to twice its size while displaying various mechanized scenes from Soseki's Botchan. Very cool, reminded me of It's a Small World in Disneyland! I'll definitely have to return here and get the full experience sometime. Very interesting piece of history!

1 comment:

  1. Outstanding! You look good (?) in a kimono. Plan on another visit to the store when we come to see you in November. Love, Daddy-San.

    ReplyDelete