Saturday, August 22, 2009

First Lessons

Yesterday marked the start of my private lessons, which are going to be my main source of income for the next year. My first lesson consisted of five elementary school aged girls named Nakino, Keiko, Saiko, Ayaka, and Yu. In the afternoon, their mother met me outside the hospital to walk me to their house, located in the suburb of Shigenoubu. The street layout of this town is very odd, with many streets branching off in diagonals from one another, and no markings to designate where one began and the other ended. Shouldn't be a problem during the day time, but I have to return to the house to give another lesson to some middle school boys during the night time, so hopefully I won't get too lost. The girls were very nice, very giggley, but they have been taking lessons for about a year now, so it was very easy to pick up where the previous teacher left off. As I was walking back to my apartment, I snapped a few pictures:


This is a really pretty area. My second lesson was at night. I had to use the local rail line to run down to a private dental clinic, run by the student. His name is Kanazaki-sensei, a 47-year old dentist. It's good to see that dentists are as talkative in Japan as they are in the states. We didn't use any textbook, but instead held an hour long conversation about our likes and dislikes. I can already tell that this is going to be a very fun lesson, and he already wants to take me out into the city next week for yakitori and drinks after our lesson. What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment