Monday, August 31, 2009

Kimonos and Obis, oh my!






My friend, Ayumi, was showing me around more of Matsuyama today, and on our way to Dogo Onsen, we made a stop at a kimono store where one of her friends works. For those who don't know, the kimono probably one of the most symbolic garments of Japan. After looking around the store at all of the beautifully embroidered finery, her friend insisted that I try one on. Of course, I couldn't say no. The kimono is basically a large robe, tied off at the middle by an ornate sash called an obi. I have to say, I liked the fit. It was pretty hot, the thing doesn't breathe too well, but it's also extremely loose and comfortable. It does constrict movement though, I found myself needing to shuffle along in order not to undo the obi knot. I was very impressed, but then I looked at the price tags on some of the items in the shop. Turns out a complete outfit can easily run you $10,000 or more! Some of the obis on display cost more than I make in a month! But considering the level of detail that went into some of the more ornate designs, and the fact that each garment is completely hand-sewn, I can understand the high price tag. Still, it would be a great look at a fancy get-together, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment