Sunday, October 18, 2009

Oh My Amazing Meat





After the festival, Ayumi and Hirata-san took me to see their friend who lives in Niihama. He's a butcher and a florist (I know, odd combination) who also teaches taiko drumming. Has a whole warehouse filled with different sizes of drums. We jammed a little bit, I'll post a video of it, and then had dinner at his house, which is right behind his shop. It was just one big room, with tatami mats on one side, and a firepit on the other with places to sit. His wife laid out a huge spread for all of us, sashimi, salad, thinly sliced beef with garlic, tofu and tomatoes, and also some yakiniku. Without a doubt, it was the best meat I've ever had. This beef just melted in your mouth, and ever time I ate a piece, I sighed. Was like stepping into a warm bath. I don't know if it was because of where he cut the meat from, or if it was cooking it over the coals, but one of the best meals I've ever had.

Afterwords, we played with his new pet, which is a baby goat, if you couldn't tell from the picture. Great people, hopefully I'll get to see them again soon and drum with them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment