Sunday, October 4, 2009

Yakiniku!





Alright, another great meal! This one is called yakiniku. It's a table grill, the restaurant provides all of the meat, and you get to cook it on your table. Most of the meat is from a cow, and it's every part you could want: liver, stomach, flank, tongue, etc. The first picture I posted is the grill, the second is the big meat plate, and the third is a picture of the cow tongue, which was seasoned, and then you dip it in lemon juice. Really good stuff, especially the stomach and the tongue of the cow. Stomach meat is pretty chewy, but it really soaks up the marinade. Everything is eaten with a big bowl of rice, and some tasty dipping sauce. The manager of the place seemed to like me, because he brought out four big cuts of some salt-rubbed steak for us to enjoy. I could definitely go back to a place like this. Oishii! (That means delicious.)

Side note: I love running into little kids over here, they do love to stare. I think I might be the first white person they've ever seen. Tonight, a little girl who must have been three kept peeking her head over our table and just stared at me the whole time I was eating. Didn't even glance at the other people who were with me. Occasionally she would be joined by her little brother, but no matter how many times I tried to smile and wave at them, they'd just keep staring at me. Half cute, half children-of-the-corn creepy. The best part is when they poke their parents and point at me. Must need some explanation. I'm still waiting for a little kid to throw food at me to eat, like throwing peanuts to the monkeys at the zoo. It's bound to happen, just a matter of time!

1 comment:

  1. As to the staring by little kids...I like to make faces back. One time this boy (after I had stuck out my tongue) look startled then looked mad and made a face back at me, and his mom hit him for making faces. Haha awesome.

    I also made a 3 year cry one time, because apparently white people are scary and she'd never seen one.

    As to your food...I always called it Korean BBQ, and its so so so good. We'd always get this for dinner and eat until we thought we'd die. Mmm meat orgy.

    ReplyDelete