Tuesday, February 16, 2010

They see me rollin', they hatin'...




The first Wednesday in February is some kind of good luck day in Japan, except no one really knows where it came from, or what its name is. However, that didn't stop me from participating in the fun. One part of the day consists of throwing red beans around to cast out the devil, or bad luck, or something like that, I never really got a straight answer as to what the beans represented. The other part of the day is all about eating large sushi rolls in a lucky direction, which changes every year. This year, the direction was west-southwest. Being the intrepid traveler that I am, I decided to roll some of my own sushi, with a little help from my friends. Isn't too hard, all you need is rice, seaweed, rice vinegar, and whatever you want to fill the roll with. Add the vinegar to the fresh rice, and let it cool. Dry out the seaweed. and lay it flat on the sushi rolling mechanism (a bunch of long sticks tied together). Interesting note, there are two sides to most seaweed sold in Japanese stores: a rough side for the rice, and a smooth side for your hands. I never noticed this before then. Anyways, mush out the rice all over the seaweed, lay out your fillings in the center, and then roll the sticks halfway while applying pressure. Then roll the whole way, squeeze, and eat! My first roll was a mess, but the second one came out pretty good. The last picture is my happy sushi face. I'll have to try this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment